The Town of Paradise Valley is a small, affluent community located in Maricopa County, Arizona. Its history stretches back to the prehistoric era, when the Hohokam people inhabited the region. These indigenous people left behind intricate irrigation canals, which are still visible in the area today.

During the late 1800s, cattle grazed in the area surrounded by the McDowell Mountains to the east and Camelback Mountain to the south. In the 1880’s, the Rio Verde Canal Company turned this open grazing area into irrigated farmland. In 1889, the Rio Verde Canal Company sent three surveyors to this area who were so taken by the beauty and tranquility of the desert landscape that they named this area Paradise Valley.

One of the first settlers was a man named Frank Conkey, who built a homestead on what is now the site of the Paradise Valley Country Club. The issue of flooding was addressed by Marvin Folkman in the mid-1940’s so that he could build homes on his land north of Doubletree Road and west of Scottsdale Road.

In 1949, the Berneil Ditch and Drainage Channel was constructed to carry floodwater away from Scottsdale Road to the Indian Bend wash.Others followed, drawn to the area’s bright sunshine, breathtaking scenery, and fertile farmland, however, settlement in Paradise Valley did not begin in earnest until post World War II. 

Homes in Paradise Valley were modest in size and style, however, they were on large parcels of land, usually one to five acres.

Phoenix and Scottsdale were looking to expand their respective boundaries. Residents who lived in the Paradise Valley area feared that they would lose the rural lifestyle they had become accustomed to and would soon be swallowed up by Phoenix or Scottsdale, and eventually subdivisions, shopping centers, new zoning laws and property taxes would be a commonality.

These concerned residents formed a “Citizens Committee for the Incorporation of The Town of Paradise Valley, Arizona,” who set out with petitions urging residents to join them in their attempt to incorporate Paradise Valley. The residents’ main goals were to keep zoning to a one house per acre minimum; to keep the area entirely residential; and to keep government regulation to a minimum. In April 1961, the Citizens Committee for Incorporation presented their petition to the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors. On May 24, 1961, incorporation was granted and the Town of Paradise Valley was established.

At that time, the Town had just 1,500 residents. Over the next few decades, the population grew rapidly, thanks in part to the development of luxury resorts and vacation homes. Today, Paradise Valley is home to around 14,000 people, many of whom are among the wealthiest in the nation. Despite its relatively small size, Paradise Valley has played an important role in Arizona’s history. Over the years, the town has been visited by numerous famous figures, including U.S. Presidents, movie stars, and business tycoons.

In addition, Paradise Valley is home to some of the state’s most iconic landmarks, including Camelback Mountain, Mummy Mountain and the Cosanti Foundation, not to mention some of the nations highest rated hotels.

Throughout the Town’s 60-plus-year history, the residents have striven to preserve the Town’s original mission – to maintain a residential community in a quiet and country-like setting with little government intervention. That has been achieved!


Q. When was the Town of Paradise Valley officially incorporated?

A. The Town was incorporated on May 24, 1961.

Q. Where are the Town’s offices?

A. Town offices are located at 6401 E Lincoln Drive, Paradise Valley, AZ, 85253. Telephone 480-948-7411. The Town’s website is

Q. What is the area of the Town and its Elevation?

A. Area is a total of 15.41 square miles and Elevation is 1,854 ft.

Q. How many residences are in the Town.

A. Just over 5,500 homes are located in Paradise Valley.

Q. Who was Frank Conkey?

A. Frank Conkey was the manager of the Rio Verde Canal Company and is credited as the individual who named the area, “Paradise Valley” in the 1880’s. He also built his personal residence there.